20 January 2009

My other projects

Here's my Drops turtleneck sweater in Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light, color is buckwheat. I'm nearly to the bottom of the sweater, I have a little over 3" of ribbing at the bottom, and plan to do about 4.
Here's the picture from the Drops Website, picture should be linked to the pattern on the Garnstudio website.
Instead of making it in separate pieces as the pattern called for, I'm doing top-down, seamless. I started with the turtleneck, then placed markers for the sleeves and did raglan shaping, eventually put the sleeve stitches on scrap yarn, then continued knitting the body. I'm not making it quite as long as shown in the picture. I'm trying to take decent notes as I knit it, maybe I will post them on here when I am finished if they are coherent enough.

I put my Somewhat Cowl aside to work on this - since the Somewhat Cowl will end up with short or 3/4 sleeves and will be a warmer-weather top. I want to get this Drops sweater done in time to wear it a few times this winter before it warms up.

My other recent project I've finished was the Textured Shawl courtsey of Ravelry user Orlane's Textured Shawl Recipe. I made this with 2 skeins of Blue Sky Alpacas Suri Merino in dusk. Which was a fantastic yarn to knit with. In the 328 yards I knit with, there were NO knots, no weird lumpy joins. It was such a soft yarn to knit with. I'd love to make something else with this yarn in the future, but the yarn is a bit on the pricey side (but worth it!) and that will have to wait until I am out of grad school and have a real job (and income). I plan to wear the shawl to my friend's March wedding. Here's a picture of it blocking, sort of. I've only steamed it so far. I need to do a better job with the blocking and maybe get myself a nice little spray bottle.

No comments: