01 February 2009

Airplane Knitting

We're going to Florida to visit my in-laws (it's weird to say that) Feb 10th - 15th.

I haven't yet decided what knitting project to bring with me!
I have a problem in that several of my current works-in-progress are not the most portable. Or they might take up my entire carry-on. For example my Hemlock Ring throw:
I have used 3 full skeins of Cascade 220 Superwash so far (4 more to go). I'm up to round 103 on the chart I think, so it's getting kind of big. Last time I measured I estimated I had over a 3' diameter, but I've done probably 10+ rows since that point. So anyway, that option is out.
My other project is the Alpaca DROPS pattern with the turtleneck, I only have the sleeves left, as I mentioned recently - and I'm hoping to finish those before we leave.
The Somewhat Cowl just needs the neck sewn on, so that's not enough to be worth bringing with me.
Another option:
I wanted to knit a little something for one of my friends whose birthday is coming up and I decided on a scarf. So I went to Pins and Needles the other day, and found this Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Sport on sale for 25% off! (Despite the name, it's DK weight).I would have liked to have used the BSA Suri Merino I have previously mentioned, but can't really swing $32 for the 2 skeins I'd need for a scarf at the moment. So I was happy to find this stuff, which is almost as soft and it ended up coming to ~$12 for the 2 skeins (and then I had a $20 off coupon, which made those 2 skeins and a set of needles practically free!) Anyway, I think I decided on this pattern, the Diagonal Lace Scarf by Helena Frank.

People on Ravelry seem to think this scarf can really roll though, so I might try a different edging, like the one on my Prismatic Scarf, where there's a knitted-in I-cord edging to prevent rolling instead of the garter stitch shown.

My only reservation is that her birthday is while we will be away, and I would have liked to give it to her before we leave, but I'll just have to give it to her a few days late when we get back.

This will definitely be portable, but I'm concerned I will finish it too fast and have nothing to knit on our way back Sunday night.

So, here's a project that wouldn't be tooo too big.
I came across this DROPS pattern the other day and I like it, "111-7 Drops jacket with raglan in silke-alpaca"

I was thinking since my second Anthro-inspired capelet has been sitting in a basket for approximately the last year (largely due to the fact that I knit past the bust and forgot to put any button holes along the way) - Maybe I could rip it out (It's Knit picks Shine Worsted in Black) and turn it into the DROPS pattern. Looks like I have enough yardage, I already know the gauge of the yarn, and it's seamless. I know wearable-items aren't necessarily the best for travel knitting, but I don't have any other scarves I need to make, and all the other items on my to-do list are larger.

Anyway, I think that's my plan for now.

1 comment:

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

The nice thing about the throw is, you could put stuff in it when you travel. I am just finishing a square shawl knit in the round which was great for holding the ball of yarn, the instructions and my notepad!